It’s the time of year when we in the USA celebrate what we are thankful for; with Thanksgiving last week and today Giving Tuesday which helps support nonprofits like us, we decided to make a list.
The past year has been a truly exciting one. We have developed a new website (globalbike.org), new marketing materials, had the largest crowd ever on a gb connect trip, and launched 2 new women’s owned bike related businesses. As we reflect we wanted to share 6 specific things we are thankful for.
- The Buffalo Bike by World Bike Relief – The Buffalo is the perfect bike for the women we work with. Sturdy and able to carry large loads. These dependable bikes are great in the rental businesses because they require low maintenance. They also help the women providing healthcare have dependable transport to and from homes and the clinic. Thanks World Bicycle Relief!
- gb connect travelers – We started our gb connect trips to “share the heart of our work with the world.” Since our first trip – that included a climb to the top of Kilimanjaro and since then over 60 people have joined us on this trip. We have another planned for July of 2016. Email email@example.com for the latest brochure.
- Ema Motta – Ema is our point person in Tanzania but he is so much more. Colleague, friend, advisor, amazing guide, and all around great person. This work would not happen without his support and help. Thanks Ema! Read more about Ema here on our blog! http://www.iamglobalbike.org
- Partners in Tanzania – Working in the developing world takes patience and great partners. globalbike is thankful to have some of the best. Our work with TATU in Msitu wa Tempo is the model for women’s bike rental businesses – not to mention all the other support we get. Tuisidiane is modeling a women’s bike rent to own business that show’s great promise. FT Kilimanjaro’s health work and new bike rental business in Mikocheni show’s amazing promise. FT Kilimanjaro also provides much needed logistics support in getting bikes into the country. Last but surely not least, Anza is a long term partner who always challenges us to be more innovative and better. For each of you we say THANK YOU!
- Women – In general women are amazing. In our work they are the key to long term success. For every dollar given to a women 87% is returned to their family and community. This says it all – women are the key to creating long term sustainability and success in rural Africa!
- Donors – Our list of thankfulness would not exist if not for the literally hundreds of donors – in addition hundreds more who have written checks, contributed to events, or joined one of our cycling chapters. This work is so important we hope you will consider giving today on #givingtuesday. We have three simple ways – 1) donate online http://www.globalbike.org 2) purchase a Kauli bag made by women in Tanzania – all proceeds support our work! Shop button on globalbike.org 3) buy a great new t-shirt. https://www.booster.com/globalbike-booster